This page has moved to http://www.artofchording.com/sounds/you_oo.html.
Click here if you are not redirected.
Vowels you and oo
Special thanks to Luke Silva for funding this lesson.
This lesson covers how you write the vowel sounds in "pure" and "poor".
A Note On Phonetics
Plover Theory is not strictly phonetic in the boundary between "you" and "oo". Phonologists or anyone familiar with the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) will see that Plover is not very strict with its vowel boundaries in general. This is because there are 20 vowels in English, but only 14 vowel combinations possible in Plover. Because of that, the boundary between "YOU" and "OO" is mainly one of spelling.
The "you" vowel is made with the outline
Words spelled with "oo"
When there is a word spelled with "oo", you stroke it with
Words spelled with "oa"
We also use the
AO combination to write out words that have the vowels "oa" like "load". This helps us resolve homophones:
TOED: today (brief)
SOER: sorry (brief)
But this combination is also used for "oa" words even when there are no homophones:
Finally, this chord can be used if you ever have an "ao" vowel, but these are not very common in English. The only single-syllable examples I have are names which have the asterisk as they conflict with "too" and "moo":
|TPHAO||into||To remember this brief, it might help to sound it out as "noo" or "in-oo"|
|TWO||two||Using spelling to avoid conflict with "to" and "too"|
|TAOUL or TWAUL||actual||Think "tule" or "twall"|
|THRAOUL or TWAEUL||actually||Think "tlule" or "twail"|
Write the English sentence represented by these outlines, including punctuation.
2. Find Outlines
Find steno outlines that will write these English sentences, including punctuation.
- He is beautiful. What, in particular, do you think is so beautiful about him?
- I am confused by pretty much everything but particularly how you expect us to work this out together.
- Do you understand what the stakes are? Are you actually understanding what this could do to us?
- My mother is a big fan of blue, but I prefer red. My dad is all about purple and my sister loves black.
- I am so glad to have two lovely kids that love me. They rule!
- I think we should not go into the cave before mom gets here.
- If you had bothered to show up to school you'd know about the quiz today!
- I am the lone student that had to take out a loan.
- This is confusing, I am not understanding anything you are saying.
- Dude, that is pure stupid. What are you doing?